June's Reading List

Last month I took the time out to read for the first time in ages. 

I used to always have my head stuck in a book but then, life happened and with one thing and another, I stopped making time for it. 

Reading is an awesome escape for me. It gives me an opportunity to shut out the real world and just get lost in something different. 

Following hot on the tails of my beautiful, yet thought provoking experience with The Book Thief, I decided to go hunting for some new books. My June Reads.

I rarely go out with an idea in mind of what book I want to read. Mainly because I get completely and utterly devastated and uncompromising when I can't find the one I want. So I now go with an open mind, hunting around the charity shops for my next mind broadening adventure. 

So here are the books I have lined up for June!


Not too long ago, I was involved in a short-lived but incredible movement in Portsmouth. The main goal was to empower women and encourage them to just Do What They Do. Screw society and it's expectations of how a woman should be, just Be. 

As you'd expect, feminism became a very regular theme during our discussions and whilst I'd never really call myself a feminist (I don't understand the phrase fully to start banding it about) but I am definitely all for equality and support it wholeheartedly. 

One of the topics often featured was that of Reading Materials. And Caitlin Moran's book, How To Be A Woman was often highlighted as, almost, a rite of passage for any woman. I found this copy whilst on my jaunt and didn't hesitate in picking it up. 


The next shop on my travels brought me to White Tiger. I've never heard of this book before, nor have I read any reviews or synopsis but I absolutely adore learning about different cultures and lifestyles, so I thought I'd pick this one up. 

Based in India, the book tells the story of a man and his quest for freedom. That's all I know. 


The next book I found was One Day. Years ago, one of my best friends recommended this book to me and I never got around to picking it up, let alone reading it. 

I *believe* it focusses on the lives of two people, living separate lives that intertwine over time. 


And finally, Gone Girl. A bit of a whim this one; the film came out last year I believe and I have yet to watch it. 

But from what I understand, it's a thoroughly gripping story about a man who's wife disappears, and the emotions that come with not only losing someone, but also the accusations that follow him as a result.


I'm so excited to get started. I think a book per week is a reasonable timescale given how much I can have read in the past, I just hope that I'm able to make the time for them!

It's so important that I do this, it's one of my favourite things and I haven't done it in so long!!

I'll be sure to update everyone with my thoughts and feelings as I read through!

What are you reading this month? Have you read any of these novels before? Let me know!




Leigh Medway

Cat Lady, Cake enthusiast, dreamer, failing wanderluster and classic British moaner. TheGirlGang member!

4 comments:

  1. I love reading too! Ive read both Gone Girl and One Day. For some reason Ii just couldn't get into One Day, I think Im the only person in the world though lol.
    Gone Girl was very good to! The twist is great! But... I didnt love it as much as everyone else! Whats wrong with me!!
    Hope you enjoy them though hun xx

    themakeupartistschoice.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read Gone Girl for a while. I didn't enjoy the movie but definitely want to give the book a whirl! :) xxx

    Sarah / Sarah Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read One Day and Gone Girl, and I loved both! I gave up on One Day before I came back to it after a third time, and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Gone Girl on my TBR pile!!! I'm so excited for it!
    I must say your June reading list is quite good! :D xoxo
    I'm currently reading the Last Time We Said Goodbye by Cynthia Hand. I will probably finish it in July.
    Jade xo

    ReplyDelete