When in Rome...

Most of this year has been gearing up to one thing... our holiday in Rome!

We booked it back in January and the wait took FOREVER but we finally got there.. but not without a drama.

I'll go into more detail another time but the long and short of it - we missed our flight. It was completed out of our hands as Southern Rail decided to cancel and delay trains to Gatwick on the day. We got the the airport 3 hours later than planned and narrowly missed our flight (they were closing the gate as we were running down the gangway). The holiday very nearly didn't happen. But we managed to secure another flight, for the same evening and were able to continue our journey to Italy. 

It was incredible. I can't put into words how much I enjoyed our time away and the reason it's taken so long to write this post is because I'm genuinely still upset that we had to leave. Yup. I did a little cry.

It was just so perfect!

There's so much to tell you about, so for the time being I'm just going to tell you a bit about what we did each day. I'm in the process of getting everything ordered for our scrapbook so once I've got these - I'll be able to show you everything! Eeep!

Day 1 (Thursday)
Explore Day!

This was our day for ticking the main sights off of the list. Unfortunately The Spanish Steps were closed to the public as was the Trevi Fountain, but we still managed to see them in the flesh and it was truly stunning (and it has been cleaned recently!)



Annoyingly, I couldn't get the detailed shots I wanted because we couldn't get too close but that just gives us another reason to go back!

Day 2 (Friday)
Vatican City


Vatican City took my breath away. No exaggeration. We explored the main grounds and the museums  but I'm sure there was loads we missed. Coming from a semi-Catholic background (that I rebelled against), I've always held a serious interest and it really didn't let me down. 

If you're planning to head there, get there early and allow yourself a LONG day to walk around. Otherwise you'll miss bits like I think we did.

Day 3 (Saturday)
Santa Marinella


This was the day I was most looking forward to - a day at the beach looking at beautiful scenery... but it wasn't what I expected. We didn't let the day go to waste though... that evening we went on another explore and found The Park...

Day 4 (Sunday)
Explore Day!

After spending a few hours in the park the evening before, we decided that this was where we wanted to spend our Sunday and it was perfect. In everyway. I SAW ELEPHANTS IN REAL LIFE!!


Day 5 (Monday)
Colosseum & Palentine Hill

The ultimate Rome tourist attraction, and we'd booked tickets for our final day. It was blistering hot and I definitely feel like I would have enjoyed it more if I was dress appropriately (I'll explain in a more detailed post) but we did it. We saw it. We stood atop of Palentine hill and looked down at the entirety of Rome and it was perfect.


Seriously I'm struggling to write this. I left my heart in Rome. 

I'm a rookie when it comes to travel, and visiting other cultures. But I generally feel like I left a part of my soul in Italy. The sooner I can go back the better. 

So that's my round up for now, I'll go into more detail another time. For now, I have another adventure to plan...

Leigh Medway

Cat Lady, Cake enthusiast, dreamer, failing wanderluster and classic British moaner. TheGirlGang member!

No comments:

Post a Comment